Saturday, April 4, 2015

Tasting - Apothic Red 2013 California Winemaker's Blend

Name: Apothic Red 2013 Winemaker's Blend
Variety: Zinfandel, Syrah, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon
Region: California
Country: USA
Year: 2013
Price: $12

Winery Review: A bold blend of primarily Zinfandel, Syrah, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon, Apothic Red leaves a lasting impression of flavor and texture on the palate. Zinfandel offers bold dark fruit flavors and spicy notes, complemented by the soft mouthfeel of Merlot. The Syrah adds layers of smooth blueberry, while the Cabernet Sauvignon delivers ripe fruit flavors and a firm structure. This decadent blend is framed by hints of black cherry, vanilla, and mocha.

My Review: Try as I may, I am awful with reds. I could tell this wine was complex from the range of different flavors and the fact that it hit in stages. There was definitely a lasting aftertaste which some may appreciate but I did not. This was a very dark wine that made it hard for me to really discern individual flavors. I think if I enjoyed it more I could have tasted more and come up with some specifics but it was rather spicy making it difficult for me to drink much. I ended up tasting this with milk to try and get rid of the aftertaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment