Sunday, April 19, 2015

Tasting - Mendoza Bonarda 2014 Merlot

Name: Mendoza Bonarda-Merlot
Variety: Merlot
Region: Mendoza, Argentina
Year: 2014
Price: $8

Winery Review: This one seems to get a little better every vintage. For a very pittance out of your pocket, this is a tasty mouth full of red wine. Surprising viscosity for a Bonarda based wine. Dark ruby, but by no means opaque color. It is very easy to discern the rustic, vegetative contribution of the Bonarda on both the nose and palate. The Merlot brings a flinty, creamy, mineral richness that totally compliments the Bonarda. Gritty little tannins. Bramble, blueberry and mulberry fruit. Some vanilla from oak. Opens up nicely with a little time in glass. Rustic, earthy finish. A great value.

My Review: Before I give my review I would like to say that I am trying my hardest to push myself to try/enjoy new things. My father really enjoys this wine and brought it when he visited me and so I figured I had to give it a try. On the nose this wine just smells like damp greenery and that made me very hesitant as did its dark color. Upon tasting it the creamy and full bodied mouth feel along with the heat and earthy nose made it hard for me to pick up the more subtle fruit flavors. I drank this alone without food.

So if anyone is keeping track, I still do not like red wines.

No comments:

Post a Comment